The Last Century
Beethoven and the 20th century – 3
This is the third in a series of programmes on Beethoven’s influence on 20th-century (and 21st-century) composers. In this hour you will hear several commissioned works written in response to compositions by Beethoven.
We’lll start with eleven newly-composed variations on Anton Diabelli’s well-known waltz, which Beethoven used for his monumental Diabelli variations. At the end of the programme, we’ll play two more ‘Reflections’ on Beethoven’s symphonies, composed by the Symphonieorchester des Bayerischen Rundfunks with chief conductor Mariss Jansons.
- New variations on a waltz from Anton Diabelli (2020). Rudolf Buchbinder, piano
- Anton Diabelli: Waltz in C
- Lera Auerbach: Diabellical Waltz
- Brett Dean: Variation for Rudi
- Toshio Hosokawa: Verlust
- Christian Jost: Rock it, Rudi!
- Brad Lubman: Variation for RB
- Philippe Manoury: Zwei Jahrhunderte spÃ¤terâ€¦
- Max Richter: Diabelli
- Rodion Sjtsjedrin: Variation on a Theme of Diabelli
- Johannes Maria Staud: Ã€ propos deâ€¦ Diabelli
- Tan Dun: Blue Orchid
- Jörg Widmann: Diabelli-Variation
- Misato Mochizuki: Nirai. Symphonieorchester des Bayerischen Rundfunks led by Mariss Jansons
- Raminta Serksnyte: Fires. Symphonieorchester des Bayerischen Rundfunks led by Mariss Jansons