Music and spoken word.
On this theme programme we focus on music in which the text – literary or otherwise – is recited by a narrator. The music collected provided a whole range of styles, from experimental avant-garde to more traditional forms of music. Noticeably, some humour also pops up from time to time, such as in Josef Anton Riedl’s opening piece “Vielleicht – Duo” and in Frank Zappa’s satirical works with the Ensemble Modern. On the other hand, composer Peter Graham plays more nostalgic music – even if his music was composed quite recently – to evoke the atmosphere of a time like 1920, when the radio was still a relatively new phenomenon.
The only Dutch works in this programme are from “De dichters uit Epibreren (The Poets from Epibreren)”. This music is more oriented to lighter music, than any other music in this programme and the attractive tracks often give a cadence to rhythmically recite the poems.
- Josef Anton Riedl. Vielleicht – Duo. Michael Lentz (spoken voice). NEOS 10925.
- Peter Graham. Radio City. Dale Gerrard (spoken voice), Peter Moore (trombone), Nicholas Childs (conductor), Black Dyke Band. Naxos 8.573968.
- Jim Parker. The Yellow Symphony. Apollo Chamber Orchestra conducted by David Chernaik; Gerard Benson & Cicely Herbert, narrators. Meridian Records CDE 84396.
- Huang Ruo. Divergence. Soyeon Lee, Piano and Huang Ruo, narrator. E1 Music KIC-CD 7759.
- Max Richter. Orlando. Max Richter, piano & modular synthesizer, Deutsches Filmorchester Babelsberg, Robert Ziegler Conductor, Louisa Fuller & Natalia Bonner, violin, John Metcalfe, viola, Ian Burdge & Chris Worsey, cello, Sarah Sutcliffe, narrator. Deutsche Grammophon 00289 479 6952.
- Frank Zappa.
Ensemble Modern. Universal 00824302388822 Universal RCD 40560.
o Food Gathering in Post-Industrial America 1992.
o Welcome to the United States.
- Barbara Kolb. Chromatic Fantasy. Music Today conducted by Gerard Schwarz and Ray Reinhardt narrator. New World Records 804222.
- Peter Graham. New York Movie (2018). Black Dyke Band conducted by Nicolas J. Childs, Dale Gerrard – narrator, Richard Philips – keyboards. Naxos 8.573968.
- The Poets from Epibreren.
Jan Klug (1 until 4), Bart FM Droog (2, 3, 4) and Tjitse Hofman (1). LOP 00001.
o Not the End.