An Early Evening Stroll
Gone Too Soon – Guillaume Lekeu 1
This is the fourth part of a series of broadcasts featuring music by composers who died young, titled ‘Gone Too Soon’.
This episode is dedicated to Belgian composer Guillaume Lekeu, who lived from 1870 to 1894. He took lessons from César Franck and Vincent d’Indy, among others, but was also a great admirer of Beethoven and Wagner. His musical style, therefore, lies somewhere between French and German traditions in classical music.
- Andante for piano, four hands. Luc Devos & Catherine Mertens, piano
- Fantasy for piano, four hands ‘Deux airs populaires angevins’. Dirk Herten & Daniel Blumenthal, piano
- Molto adagio sempre cantante e doloroso (1887). Quatuor Debussy
- Larghetto (1892). Isabelle Veyrier, cello; Ensemble Musique Oblique
- Adagio for string orchestra (1891). Ciconia Consort led by Dick van Gasteren