A musical serial. Episode 10: From drones to (free) jazz
Benjamin Duboc’s Primare Cantus, the final piece of last week’ s episode is where we take off today. Duboc is an artist who plays free jazz, which means we have arrived in jazz territory.
Duboc double bass takes us past a few short free jazz pieces. Improvising complete compositions on the spot is an approach taken by the Utrecht saxophone player Gijs Hendriks as well. We play works from his album ‘Genadeloos’. The theme to his composition ‘Joe’ may sound familiar. This tenth episode ends with Brad Mehldau, who recorded quite a number of long improvisational pieces. More on that next week!
01. Benjamin Duboc – Primare Cantus
02. Benjamin Duboc – Après la sève
03. Benjamin Duboc – Puis l`écorce et la verdure
04. Gijs Hendriks – Instant Composing Music nr.1
05. Gijs Hendriks – Joe
06. Gijs Hendriks – Instant Composing Music nr.3
07. Gijs Hendriks – Instant Composing Music nr.2
08. Brad Mehldau – Intro
09. Brad Mehldau – Someone to watch over me
10. Brad Mehldau – Exit music (for a film)
How long will we stay in the world of jazz? Where are we going? Let us know!
Sensenta is a programme about long attention spans. Every episode slowly changes hue, and every next episode picks up where the last one left off. This a creates a musical serial, a chain of episodes, touching on different genres at it goes. You’re welcome to join in and give us your opinion. Where should this chain go next? Send us an e-mail at email@example.com, or follow Sensenta at Twitter and Facebook.