The Last Century
The guitar in the last century X: Joaquín Rodrigo.
A monthly series featuring guitar music from the last century, including a guitar concert in each episode. Today focuses on Spanish composer Joaquín Rodrigo (1901-1999).
Rodrigo is best known for his guitar concerto Concierto de Aranjuez. Although he could not play the guitar himself, he wrote many other works for the instrument. His main influences were Spanish music and music from the Renaissance. Rodrigo was blind and wrote his music in braille. This was converted into regular notation by others. Despite his handicap, he could play the piano well and wrote more than 100 compositions.
1. Joaquín Rodrigo. En los trigales. Roberto Aussel, guitar.
2. Rodrigo. Concierto madrigal. Pepe and Angel Romero, guitar. Academy of St Martin in the Fields conducted by Neville Mariner.
3. Rodrigo. Invocación y danza. Xuefei Yang, guitar.
4. Rodrigo. Tres canciones españolas. Liliana Rodríguez, vocals. Raphaëlla Smits, guitar.
5. Rodrigo. Sonata a la española. Edoardo Catemario, guitar.Produced by: